questions about boat with no genset

shekmark

My 2002 370 has no genset. I am wondering what keeps the two fridges working while out on the hook. I don't see an inverter in the engine compartment, so I have to assume they run off the house battery. Do I need to worry about a battery going dead over night and not being able to start an engine? Also, how am I to make coffee with no AC power on the hook? I know I need to study up on how all theses systems work, but just looking for a quick answer for now. Thanks.

The fridges will run off of your house batteries. Depending on on how long you run them you can drain your batteries down. You should have a battery parallel switch which will start dead battery engine. I have 2 group 31 batteries for house and port motor. I can usually stay on the hook over night and then charge them in the morning with the gen while I perk my coffee and make breakfast.

Thanks., I suppose I can start my engines and let them run for a while to recharge. I wonder how long that would take?

When I stay on the hook for a few days I run my gen for 4hours a day. 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. That keeps my batteries charged.

You could do what I do: buy a Honda EU1000 portable generator which will charge the batteries and you can also run your coffee maker off of it. Just connect your shore power cord to it with a 110V adapter. It will surge a bit depending on the draw of the coffee maker or you can go up a size to the EU2000 but I like the smaller footprint and lighter weight of the 1000. You can also run a toaster off the 1000 but not simultaneously with the coffee maker. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

I bought a Honda 2000 generator and it was a pain in the neck. Its in the way and I was nervous with all the safety hazards. I took it on the boat twice and that was enough. I installed a Kohler and had 65 hours of perfect use.....and 3 days ago I'd have told you it was perfect. Got my first fault this past weekend and I'm hoping its something simple. There are other gensets out there.

You can also make it really simple: once you set your hook and before you bed down for the night transfer our perishables to a cooler and shut down your batteries just to be safe. DEFINITELY learn how your battery switches work to be sure you know how to effectively use them.

Curious, do you have two batteries or three? I'm wondering because with a genset, I have three: the starboard engine battery, the port engine/house battery, and the genset battery. I'd be nice if you still had three with the genset battery now a dedicated house battery.

Curious, do you have two batteries or three? I'm wondering because with a genset, I have three: the starboard engine battery, the port engine/house battery, and the genset battery. I'd be nice if you still had three with the genset battery now a dedicated house battery.

ok so interestingly enough, I have FOUR batteries and never had a genny. Two are in the usual spot against the port wall next to motor. The other two are in neat little boxes right where the generator would normally sit! So I'm thinking the previous owner added twice extra house batteries since there is no genny. I'm going to email him and ask how he set it up

OK...I have four batteries. The previous owner got back to me and he said that he doubled up on each side; two port starter/house and two starboard starters. I guess he wanted to be extra safe since there is no generator and he hung out on the hook a lot.

good to know! I'd still be very cautious on the hook and understand how to minimize your draw down and prepare for the worst.

Back