NE Spring Launch

boatweiser

When you live in the NE, you have to celebrate our limited boating season as much as possible. I picked my launch date 3 weeks ago and somehow managed to secure a 90 degree May day with 1' seas for a 35nm(ish) trip from Old Saybrook to Point Judith. Figured I'd share a pic or two and get some guys to celebrate the start of our respective boating seasons! You southern boaters can make fun of us....

If I did this correct there should be some photos attached. Please share yours!

Attachments

• 54932.jpg
    54932.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 54930.jpg
    54930.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 54931.jpg
    54931.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 63
Very nice, looks like a 400. We splashed our 370 over the weekend but unfortunately we have some engine problems. Still had a great time hanging out at the marina all weekend though.

It is a 400 w. D6 diesels. Sorry to hear about your 370 - any diagnosis?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I will a bit - sorry...

What year is your 400, I am having problems finding folks with D6's that can help with some "basic" issues. However your model looks a bit too new.

Thanks in advance!

2016.... Dasoli has D6s in a '15 I believe as well. What's going on?

So just curious on a few things that I am told I MUST upgrade, yet my ONE local dealer really has no idea what I am talking about.

Quite a few are IPS related, but one is D6 related, and related to my squeaky supercharger...

I am told I need to UPRADE my pulleys, mine are nylon I guess and I need Metal ? Do I have to do this, what if I don't ?

Can I do it my self, if so how do I find out the parts as Volvo won't share those.

That is the big thing at the moment...

Also getting a constant low coolant shut down warning on PORT engine, but that MIGHT be battery related, so I am buying $1K of new batteries to shut up (hopefully) that problem.

For the pulleys, I believe the part numbers are:
22171036 tensioner for supercharger belt (one on each engine)
22774756 tensioner for main belt (one on each engine)
3847482 idler pulley (3 or 4 on each engine I think)

Do you need to replace them? No, not until one blows up. Should you replace them, probably, or at least carry spares. The pulleys and the engine belt tensioner are easy to replace but the supercharger tensioner in under tension so probably much more difficult unless you have a special tool to take up the tension. I didn't do mine myself, so I'm not sure. These could be the source of the squeak you think is coming from the supercharger. To find out, fill a spray bottle with plain water and spray a bit of water on each pulley while the engine is running and see if the squeak goes away.

Toofast - sounds like DCA knows his sh*t...but try TAG. They have always been first rate answering questions and it would be interesting to see if they have a different opinion than your local dealer. This would also be a great question on thehulltruth where you will have 100s of guys running those engines to chime in.

DCA - you mention carrying spares but I am not sure what you are referring to? The belts? Are you recommending this because TooFast is experiencing some issues or do you think anyone should carry these spares? Not gonna lie I am most likely to call SeaTow before I am replacing a belt out on the water - esp given the lack of room on an SS with d6s. But I'm willing to learn..

I always keep two spare serpentine belts on board (they are specific to each engine because of the power steering pump being only on one side) and last season, before I had everything replaced, I kept a couple of new idler pulleys and a new main tensioner on board. There's no reason to not at least keep the belts on board because they are really easy to replace unless you're in rolling seas. I boat on Lake Michigan and figure I can always limp to a harbor somewhere where I can do a belt and could even do one in the middle of the lake if it's relatively calm.

The key is to have photos of the front of both engines handy so you can see how a replacement belt goes around all the pulleys. Unlike the supercharger tensioner, the main belt tensioner is not spring loaded so you just need a wrench to loosen the bolts and a 1/2 inch ratchet handle to apply some tension before you tighten the bolts back down. There's a specific torque setting for the tensioner but that's not needed for a quick replacement. Snug on the pulley's will do and you can just compare the tension with the belt on the other engine by pressing it with your thumb.

As for replacing the actual tensioner or a pulley, just take all the bolts out of the tensioner and swap it out completely. I've never actually taken one of the pulley's off myself but they're just held on by an allen bolt through the middle, so it looks easy. As I said in my last post, the tensioner on the supercharger is a bigger deal but if you lose that at sea you'll still have a running engine I believe.

My overall advice on belts and water pump impellers is try changing them once at the comfort of your dock with no pressure and then if you ever have to do it again to get back home it will be much easier than trying it for the first time while floating around. Both jobs are easy with basic tools, especially if you've done them before. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, having the parts on board gives you a better chance of getting the repair done away from home by being able to hire a local wrench and giving him the parts.

Cheers

I live in VT, and feel the pain of a short boating season. I put my boat in at dawn a week ago. It was 47 degrees, and foggy. So far, zero hours since it's been raining and cold everyday. Let's pray for warmer and drier weather soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 25
Great pics, beautiful Formula. I should've been out that day, also. Launched in Old Saybrook in April, must've been working on that perfect day you found. We pass by your inlet on the way to Newport, and would like to go in for an overnight one of these days. I have find memories of the area from my URI days.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

FourmulaCT
Don't miss out on reliving those good 'ol Rams days! The Ocean Mist is as good as ever and so is The Mews! If you stop in to PJ hit me up with a PM and maybe I can get you a lift to one of your old stomping grounds.

FourmulaCT
Don't miss out on reliving those good 'ol Rams days! The Ocean Mist is as good as ever and so is The Mews! If you stop in to PJ hit me up with a PM and maybe I can get you a lift to one of your old stomping grounds.
Ahhhhhh, the Mews, would like that and we'll definitely hit you up!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back