Ditch bags and additional equipment

Belleair302

How many fellow boaters have invested in EPIRBS, hand held VHF radios and additional safety equipment beyond the usual flares, fire extinguishers and PFD's? Ditch bags whats in yours?

Typically i don't carry one, but on my trip to Bimini last year I did. I had 4 MRE's, 1 Gallon of water, 2 waterproof handheld VHF's, flares,and rope all in a dry bag. I attached it to 2 life jackets, a large round fender, and kept it at the back of the boat.

Most of my boating is on the Gulf of Mexico within 25 miles of the coastline. I have the usual precautions, from flares and decent PFD's, through to multiple fire extinguishers, VHF, radar and Sea Tow. Am considering a ditch bag with a handheld VHF, an EPIRB, water, snacks, strobe, waterproof torch and smoke / glow lights. Makes sense even if not used. Can see the need if going way out in the Atlantic or on tour around the Bahamas, but in the Gulf and I don't fish, there isn't much to enjoy beyond the 25 mile mark.

Last edited:
I have ditch bag with four mustang auto inflate PFDs four bottles of water, epirb and flash light and flare gun. I also have a four person compact life raft auto inflate. All in the cockpit under aft seat easy to grab in case of emergency

In the Galveston Bay area, avg depth is 6-10 feet outside of the channel. If figure I can bob to shore. :)

Typically you should carry in a ditch bag that floats:
A 200 ft rope streamer that floats tied to a handle or strap
Life jackets W/ strobe lights for all passengers
A rope with loops and snaps so all persons can link together
Flare gun and flares
Smoke flares
Mirror
EPIRB if more that 2 miles out
fully charged hand held in a sealed plastic zip lock

Back