Transmission issue

Hi. Yes I have the electronic drives just separate handles. They are just different I was told by my mechanic. They work the same way. The Volvo mechanic was down today. He has no idea. What we wound up doing was switching the port and starboard computers. He said to see if it does it now on the starboard side. He's really confused also. I hope you get an answer bc so far I have no real answer. Good luck with your guy !!!! Let me know. My hull # is
TNRD1531F102. Not sure but I think they were built at different plants. I have to do some research.

Have any of your guys who attempted a fix....looked at the throttles? I am thinking this....the engine is getting power. What it is not getting is the signal to move forward. Are you the original owner of your boat? if not, how long have you owned it? I am the 2nd owner and my boat was 1 1/2 years old when I bought it so, we have been through many "things" together, this being the most perplexing, next to not being notified of the safety recall with the SB wiring harness. As far as the hull #, I was thinking the 2002 in mine was the year of the boat but, guess I am wrong again. Hopefully my guy gets here tomorrow and, if not, it will be Thursday morning. Hang tough matey!

Hi. My guy changed the potentiometers in the handles yesterday and it did not resolve the issue. I agree that it is not getting signal
because the neutral light on the EDC does not go out until the transmission decides to go into gear. I'm the 3rd owner of the boat and
I got it Memorial day this year. The other owner took great care of it - meticulous. The year of the boat are the last 2 digits. My wiring harnesses were changed
as per the recall. Good luck and let me know!! I'm interested as to what he says.

Jef did not get here today so, hopefully tomorrow morning and I want to be here so I can let him know what you have done so far. I just emailed him to get a time from him. Curious...how many hours on your engines?

Hi. I have 540 hours on them. My wife used the boat yesterday with the captain for 2 hours. She's practicing docking!! They shifted the boat about 100 times and it never failed!! Weird again. We're still not sure but as long as it works. How many hours on yours? Keep me updated as to what your guy finds!! Good luck.

Hey there....Jef and I spent 1 1/2 hrs aboard.....it is the spindle which goes into the transmission. He cleaned both spindles for forward & reverse, oil nice & clean. The o rings were not good on the forward spindle so, he thinks the whole spindle assembly should be changed. He is ordering parts today but he left the boat on full operating condition. I have a little over 600 hrs on Divergirl BTW.

I'm glad to hear the boat is working well !!! Can you clarify what the spindles are on the transmission. I've never heard that term used before. Our boats are really close in hours also. I'm not sure if I asked what transmissions are in your boat. I have the ZF 280 a-1. Let me me know how it goes. Gonna go down tomorrow and try to use it again. Glad to hear your up and running !!

Jef showed me the spindles and I had never heard that term before either. It has nothing to do with the solenoid. He will be back to my boat in a few days, either to replace the o rings or the whole spindle assembly. These spindles are about 4 or 5 inches long. He googled a whole diagram of the assembly while we were aboard. I will try to get more specifics for you. I have ZF280-1A trans.

Hi.....did you ever resolve your port engine issue? Jef Burke is actually coming to my dock today to finally install the "shift solenoid". He had to order it and it took a few weeks. Meanwhile the SB engine is acting up as it did before the safety recall so I had to contact Volvo Penta again on that issue.

You guys up north are getting ready to haul out and store, right? Please tell me if you did identify your problem with port.

thanks,
Divergirl

Hi Divergirl. My issue was resolved for the time being. The Volvo mechanic came down and couldn't find the problem. So he finally decided to change the computers from port to starboard and starboard to port. He wasn't 100% sure and he said if the problem happens on the starboard side then you know it's the computer. After he changed the sides of the computers the problem never happened again. Weird again! My boat is now out of the water so no more trips till next year. Let me know what happens. I'd like to see what this shift solenoid is. Please take a picture and post it please. Thanks.

Hi....Jef Burke came and installed the spindle in the shift solenoid however, I was not there so I could not take a picture. I have not had the problem since so, making the assumption that was my problem. The spindle is, apparently, inside the sift solenoid because he left the new shift solenoid with a note saying that this was new and as I did not need the solenoid itself and only the spindle, I should save the actual new solenoid in case I need it down the line....HOPE NOT!
B.O.A.T., right?
Hopefully when you are back in the water next spring, you will be good to go!

Happy Thanksgiving!
DIvergirl

Hello all. So here's an update on the transmission issue of the port engine not engaging forward gear occasionally when warmed up. It started happening again this season. I decided to call a local volvo dealer in New Jersey. They asked for the engines serial numbers. She then tells me the wiring harness recall was never performed. This has been around for a while and the mechanic who surveyed the boat never mentioned it. I know the recall was solving transmission issues with the boat. I wonder if this is my issue. I'm just really pissed at the original surveyor!!!! The boat yard is going to let me know when they can perform the recall work. I will keep an update going.

Back