Stereo System upgrade completed (JL Audio)

jhformula

6 Pairs of JL M770, 2 Pairs M880 Pods, 2 IB 10 JL Subs, 1 JL w6HO
3 JL M800/8 (Bridged for 200watts to Pods and 4 Pairs of M770)
PDX v-9 (2 pairs M770 and W6)
PDX-M12 (IB Sub Power)
Fusion MS-UD750, NRX2000i Remote

This install was not easy because no one in my area wanted to work on my boat. I searched the internet and Facebook/Instagram for some of the cleanest looking Installations and wire management. I came across ABF Creations and talked to the owner about coming to NY from Minnesota to do my installation. He knocked out this install in less than 2 Days.
1" Spacers were need for the front hardtop speakers to fit the JL 7.7" depth.
1/2" King starboard was used for the sub faceplates under the helm seats.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will gather more pictures and video soon.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Impressive!!! Congratulations! Hmmmm…..I wonder if the ABF guy would like a working vacation in beautiful AZ?…...

Where can you enjoy it though? My friend was at watch hill a couple weeks ago and they sent a ranger over to his boat to threaten him. It was 4th of July weekend and just after 6pm. On the hook, it's probably off the hook. But in the marinas I'm sure you ain't makin friends. Looks sick though!!! Now you just need one of those jumbotron blow up screens for the front of the boat for TV and some LED lights that blink to the beat. I guess you had to add some batteries in to run it?

toofast...walk outside. i'm in maryland, and i think i hear it from here!!!!!

holy smokes...looks awesome! congrats on the new system...at least you get to pick the music for whatever tie-ups you get into. :cool: really excellent work too...

There is at least 1 huge party every year on the lake where it doesn't matter how loud you are. Otherwise just be smart and don't annoy people. We don't crank music up at the dock either.
I have 3 batteries on the house side. When i was playing for 6+ hours straight I had the generator running with no issues.

VERY Impressive J, VERY impressive. Looking back is there anything you'd have done differently?
Might have done 2+ & 2- 1/0 runs instead of one each for possible future additions. A DSP would have been good for just the rear cans IMO. Happy with everything though. And you can never have enough bass. I just didn't want to cut into the seat bottoms for more subwoofers...
I like the radio and the zone features, but sometimes i wish for a row of remote level controls as well instead of just a big interface to navigate though.

IIRC i have 3 or 4 batteries on the house side for the stereo and other 12 volt accessories, which is enough capacity. Moving a couple of batteries to inside the cabin might be an option, but I am not sure how that would work or be beneficial. (having shorter cable run to the amps).

If money was no concern...I would ship the boat to spokane audio video experts across the country. Their installs make me drool. https://www.facebook.com/Spokane-Audio-Video-Experts-148063715206246/

ABF Creations, who did my installation, did a superb job. I knew custom fiberglass stuff wasn't going to be an option since he wasn't working out his shop. I found him by going through social media, quality of work and upholstery work looked (is) great. https://www.facebook.com/ABF-Creations-275061402555816/

I never really run the stereo louder than speaking voice often (louder when underway), But the hardtop keeps a lot of the sound in and no lack of clear audio to be heard wherever you are standing/sitting. I listen to XM stations such as Classic Rewind, The Bridge, Lithium, Rap (Quite the variety).

Last edited:
LOVE it! Those guys do an incredible job for sure!

I'm thinking of starting out slow this season, by swapping out the 6.5 Clarion's to JL's. Which ones did you go with?
I hope its an easy swap not sure if I'll need spacer rings or not. I have big plans for the sound system but gotta let the financial dust settle of the purchase first lol!!! I'll be kickin in the XM receiver subscription for sure.

I have two weeks until we take delivery and I'm gonna be going crazy while waiting.

The M770 JL speakers only required a spacer for the speakers in the front of the hardtop, I believe it's one inch. None of the other speakers required adapters or spacers.

Nice sounds good, now l’ll start pricing them out. And hopefully get them installed before the Admiral shows up at the marina. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So a model name M770-CCX-CG-WH means.. Model-Cockpit coaxial-Classic Grill-White
the CCX means cockpit (infinite baffle). You would want to replace your stock speakers with these versions. The TCS means tower (enclosed)
The grill style is all preference. If the third pic is grey, i'm not sure i've seen those...(could be very old stock).
Not sure it matters or not.
Also if you have a hardtop In Stock form, mine had separate tweeters for the top front arch, Under the helm Seat and On Lower Arch. I eliminated the ones on the lower arch, and used the component set for the other two.
They may have been just for TV...I am not positive..Never used the TV besides the cabin one.
Hope that helps!

Big time! I just bought my first replacement set for the ones over the captains head in the hard top. After they fit and are in I'll swap out the others, OFF the radar lol!

So am I correct that the overhead ones in the hard top will fit the M770 with 1" spacer rings, the others you can swap them without rings? Or will they need to drop to the 6.5 JL's.

I wonder if the stock SS grilles can be used with the JL's

2018-06-10 12.15.02.jpg

Last edited:
Back