1988 206LS engine cuts out

castines

Administrator
Hi all, just wanted to share this with you.

My 206 with 350 mag with Rochester carb, the one that the engine seized up from sitting for 2 years was running fine at idle. She would get on plane no problem for about 30 to 40 seconds then would fall off, almost stall out unless I pulled back on the throttle. Then after about a minute would do the same thing all over again. Thought bad fuel, clogged fuel filter, clogged spin off filter, bad mechanical fuel pump....

But it was the anti siphon check valve. This is located where the fuel line connects to the tank pickup. Hard to tell until you remove the hose. Then unscrew from the pick up. It had a few pieces of dirt/junk stuck in behind the check ball and would let the fuel slip back into the tank so the fuel pump could not keep up under loading Hi RPMs. I also remove the pick up tube and it also has some crap in it.

All better now, just like she ran in 88 :mad:

5 min fix after hours of troubleshooting.

Don't laugh, but I had the same problem with the fresh water system on my last boat. Water ran fine for a minute or so and then slowed down to a trickle and didn't work the rest of the day. It took almost an entire season to troubleshoot the problem (along with replacing the filter and the water pump).

Glad you were able to find it. Sometimes the little things are the most difficult to diagnose.

Back