Kohler Gen Set Service Bulletin (SB-662) Manifold & Catalyst Replacement

Unforgettable

I just stumbled across something that y'all should be aware of. It seems that Kohler put out a Service Bulletin back in August of 2006 re: challenges that they have had with the "Old" Exhaust Manifold Design getting clogged due to salt crystals and silt buildup resulting in blocked water flow.

The Bulletin states that Marine Generator set models 5ECD/4EFCD and 7.3ECD/s6EFCD built before Serial #2113080 had seawater passage holes in the exhaust manifold and exhaust catalyst assemblies that may have this challenge.

I had my 2007 31 PC boat built in December of 2006 and took delivery of it in March of 2007. I have the 7.3ECD Unit (Serial #2101XXX) which according to the Bulletin requires the Manifold and Catalyst to be changed out to the newer ones. Not sure why I was not notified of this Bulletin/Directive directly by Forumula.

That said, I will be contacting my local "new" Formula Dealer i.e., Comstock Boat Works on Monday to see what is involved in getting this Kohler Warranty work done. It may also be an opportunity for Formula Guard to set up to the plate since I'm in the 5th year of the program and have only submitted 1 claim that cost them approx $125.

That said, it may be a good idea for you to check down below and record your Kohler Gen Set Serial # to see if you should be contacting your local Formula and/or Kohler Dealer.....

I'll keep you posted.....

Kudo's to Comstock's Yacht Sales and Marina - Not only did Comstocks' step up and perform the required repairs in a timely manner but they took the time register my 02 Kohler Generator with Kohler. Something that the original Dealer (now out of business) never took the time to do. In the process, I learned that I have a 5-year Warranty on the generator.....

Please send me your e-mail if you would like to see the picture of the restricted manifold.....

That?s the whole misconception with a service bulletin. If it was a recall of some kind, the factory would have to pay for all of them. A service bulletin is notification of a problem with a recommended fix. If it?s still under warranty Kohler will pay for the repair. However if the unit is out of warranty, the repair would have to be paid for by the customer. F.Y.I. ? The SB-692 bulletin came out in May 2009.

This was what they told the marina that sent in for my 2006 Kohler last week I wonder who they notified mine was deemed to be out of warranty so it is on me bummer.

Back